May 19, 2013 - 09:16 PM
Scorpion control is really not that difficult, as long as you adhere to a regular treatment program.
Here is how to kill Scorpions like a pro -
1) Treat the entire perimeter with Demon WP, Bifen IT or Talstar Insecticide. Completely saturate the exterior of the home, foundation, under and around rock piles, mulch, wood piles, shrubs etc. This is where scorpions hide. You have to hit'em where they hide! Spray heavy and completely saturate these areas until wet.
2) Use Bifen PL Granules or Talstar PL Granules and apply a complete exterior perimeter granular treatment. Apply the granules fairly heavy (2 - 5 lb's per average home) and make a band 3-5 feet wide around the complete exterior perimeter.
3) Use Delta Dust and inject through all exterior cracks, weep holes, and any place on the exterior that Scorpions can enter. A hand held duster such as the JT Eaton Duster makes the application easy.
4) Get a black light bulb from any hardware store and attach to extension cord and droplight. Scorpions glow at night under a blacklight! At night, turn off all lights, and begin your search. Look under furniture, behind TV's, under beds, behind sofa's, behind dressers, washing machines, refrigerators, etc. If possible go into the attic and do the same inspection. Try to find the scorpions inside before spraying, because spraying indoors usually doesn't work. If you find one, just scoop it into a dust pan and get rid of it. Don't spray it, you will waste good chemical. A vacuum cleaner can suck it up too. Just be sure to get rid of the bag.
5) Use Delta Dust and apply under all appliances, washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, behind dishwasher, etc. A light dusting is all that is necessary. You can also remove wall switch plates and dust inside the walls (interior walls - hollow walls - no insulation. If possible dust the attic on top of the insulation and down into the eaves. Be sure to wear a dust type respirator if you do this. This a fairly time consuming process, but if you do it, the results are terrific!
6) Use ePest IPM Bug Traps and place under furniture, along walls, etc to capture scorpions. Check the traps weekly until you are certain that they are gone. Then replace each trap every 2-3 months for maximum effectiveness.
That's it. If you follow these steps, you will get control of scorpions. I do not like simply "spraying" indoors for scorpions. It doesn't work, and unless you contact the scorpion directly with spray, you won't kill it. Dusts on the other hand such as Delta Dust cling to their bodies and will kill them. But you have to do a very thorough outdoor application first.
Do this treatment every 60 - 90 days during the spring, summer and fall. It will not only kill scorpions, it will kill almost every other crawling pest such as spiders, cockroaches, etc. Your home will be Bug Free - Guaranteed!
FYI - this type of "professional" treatment is valued at anywhere between $400 - $600.