Nov 11, 2013 - 07:00 PM
It's safe unless the pets eat the bait directly (which is very rare). Since the ingredient is a blood thinner, if the pets eat it, it will make them sick. The good news however, is that for most dogs, it takes 1 block per lb of body weight to have any detrimental affect. So basically, for a 20 lb dog, it takes about 20 blocks which is more than a full pound of bait to kill them.
In all of our years of selling and using rodenticides such as Contrac Blox, I can count the number of animal poisoning cases on 1 hand. It just doesn't happen that often. And I am talking about thousands of cases where it was used.
And in every case where there was a problem, it was a dog that ate some bait.
Never a cat, and never any secondary poisoning from a dog that ate a dead rat or mouse that had consumed any bait. These types of baits don't have secondary poisoning attributes. Basically secondary poisoning is where the rat eats the bait and dies, the cat eats the rat and dies, the dog eats the cat and dies and so on. That does not happen with today's EPA regulated rat baits.
As a matter of fact, we have 2 small yorkies that we take to work every day. Macy our female, is 6 lbs and basically keeps the front office safe. Max our 7 lb male, roams the warehouse and protects it.
A few months ago, Max found a dying mouse somewhere in the warehouse (our warehouse is very clean, so I was surprised) and ate it. One of our warehouse workers saw him with the mouse in his mouth, tail hanging out before he swallowed it. He never even got sick.
We use what we sell. We use these bait stations and bait, so this is first hand testimony.
If you are concerned about poisons around your pets, then consider using traps such as the T-Rex rat trap or the Mini Rex Mouse Trap. You can put these traps inside the Protecta Original station or the Protecta Evo to keep them away from pets.
Hope this helps.